ANALISIS MINAT BELI KONSUMEN TERHADAP STRATEGI PEMASARAN STP (Segmenting, Targeting dan Positioning) DAN BAURAN PEMASARAN 4P (Product, Price, Place, dan Promotion) KOPI TEPAL(STUDI KASUS : UMKM PUNCAK NGENGAS)

Authors

  • Deni Saputra Universitas Teknologi Sumbawa
  • Shafwan Amrullah Universitas Teknologi Sumbawa

Keywords:

Coffee, Marketing Strategy, Marketing Mix.

Abstract

As many companies compete to meet the needs and desires of consumers, what needs to be considered is how the company is able to create uniqueness in the products and services offered. Companies must design marketing strategies that will drive customers and build the right relationships with the right customers. There are quite dominant strategies, namely segmentation, targeting and positioning strategies. In this study, the two independent variables in this study partially have no significant effect on consumer buying interest, for example, promotion in the marketing mix variable 4P (X2) which has a significant value less than 0.05 and the remaining variables have a significant effect on consumer buying interest. The marketing strategy variable has a negative effect on consumer buying interest with the t-count value smaller than t-table (-2.310>2.131) and significant 0.036 <0.05, The marketing strategy variable (X1) and the marketing mix variable 4P (X2) simultaneously show a significant effect. The marketing strategy and the marketing mix simultaneously have no significant effect on consumers' buying interest in tepal coffee products at MSME Puncak Ngengas, because the value of f count < f table or 3.174 < 3.63, and a significant level of 0.071> 0.05. This research shows that the ability of the independent variable (free) in explaining the dependent variable (bound) is 11.4% and the remaining 88.6% is explained by variables not discussed in this study.

Published

2021-11-25

How to Cite

Saputra, D., & Amrullah, S. . (2021). ANALISIS MINAT BELI KONSUMEN TERHADAP STRATEGI PEMASARAN STP (Segmenting, Targeting dan Positioning) DAN BAURAN PEMASARAN 4P (Product, Price, Place, dan Promotion) KOPI TEPAL(STUDI KASUS : UMKM PUNCAK NGENGAS). Food and Agro-Industry Journal, 2(2), 17-26. Retrieved from https://jurnal.uts.ac.id/index.php/JTP/article/view/1245